Thursday, May 20, 2010

Babies, Birds, and Veggies

Good day, my dears!

There's some excitement here at Heaven's Walk, and I so wanted you to be a part of it.

An Indigo Bunting came visiting over the weekend.


 Ok. So, maybe that's not such a big 'ta-da' moment for you, but we were excited! Breathtaking, brilliant royal blue...the first one we've seen this season.


His appearance was followed by a Baltimore Oriole, dipping his beak in the grape jelly we set out for passersby...

 
....right before I snapped the perfect picture of one of our hummingbirds drinking out of the my new vintage-looking feeder.

And....


 ...we have five baby bluebirds in the birdhouse on the clothesline post. As we sit on the deck for happy hour each evening with our "Fat Cat-Happy Dog" homemade wine (of course), we can hear them chirping and squealing away for momma. (I nabbed these photos looking over my should the entire time, hoping that momma wouldn't decide that I was some type of predator come to abscond her little ones. I could just imagine her dive bombing me and somehow carrying me away.)



And Mother Nature has finally decided to begin to cooperate.  (Must'ave had a chat with dear old Father Time or something....) It's actually beginning to feel like late spring now. Hallelujah! I do think that she had her April and May mixed up for some crazy reason. (I guess it was a busy winter season for her.) The days have become warmer and more sunshiny, full of short shadows and heat weaving up from the pavement. Cool evenings are a conglomeration of croaking bullfrogs, chirping peepers, and crickets playing their violins. 

(What....they don't?  I always imagined them with miniature violins on their backsides...*wink)

So hubby decided that it was time to plant our organic vegetable garden during the weekend.


In went the kale, beans, zucchini, peas, tomatoes, artichokes, broccoli, squash, onions, 
bell and chili peppers, and herbs...


...all in tidy rows, standing like little green soldiers.


As the season goes on, there's no better feeling than to look at each other at 6:00 with that "What should we have for dinner?" look on our faces.  We just meander out to our garden with our favorite 'pickin' pot' to bring in some fresh veggies to pile on our plates.  That's what summer's all about...especially here at Heaven's Walk.  
  
(sigh!)


Here's to a springtime of new babies, breathtaking birds, and lots of fresh veggies!

Blessings to you -

~ Laurie



10 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie~~~~

    I could spend all day looking at the birds...we can't have bird feeders though because we aren't at the lake consistently to keep them filled. My neighbor has some so I get to see her little friends when they pop over for a visit. And of course I have all sorts of nice nesting places!!

    I really enjoyed your post! I haven't heard the bullfrogs yet...it's been a little cold in the evenings but when you mentioned it, I thought of sweet summer nights!

    I am putting off planting my gardens here and there until we get back from a short trip. You have me looking forward to that as well. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janie!

    It was really nice to hear from you - and thanks for the reply! It's always nice to for us 'rookie' bloggers to hear encouraging words from the pros! :) I will certainly enjoy following your blog as well!

    Hugs ~

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie,
    You have some great projects on your blog. I love the arbor and the water feature. Your baby bluebirds are awesome!! How fantastic. I like the Indigo Bunting too. We have those birds here and where I grew up. I love to catch a glimpse of that brilliant blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sherry! The arbor was 'arduous' (no pun intended!) lol! But soooo worth the time spent on it. We're having a great time watching those little bluebirds grow up. We find ourselves spending more and more time on our deck just birdwatching every evening! :)

    Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower!

    Hugs ~

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures of the babies, Laurie!!! so cute!
    aren't you glad you can finally sit on your new/old chairs and enjoy the outside?

    Great post.
    Hugs,
    Debbie
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had a green thumb! I would love to have my own garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alvn! My green thumb is only a little green. My hubby is the King when it comes to our veggie garden. I think he could grow it in concrete if he wanted to! lol! Have you tried growing veggies in containers? My dad has has quite good luck with his tomato plants in big pots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to pop on over and welcome you to blogging! I saw your comment on my friend Lara's last post, and thought I'd come pay you and your lovely blog a visit. :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Anne
    *Fiona & Twig*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laurie,
    I LOVE the pictures of the baby birds in your clothes line...so precious!! Your veggie garden is coming along very nicely! I just have flowers in my garden, but hope to have veggies some day. Thanks for the inspiration!
    I'm so glad you visited my blog, and THANKS for all the kind compliments about my kitchen!!
    Hope the rest of your weekend is a great one!
    :) ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the kind comments, Anne and Jo! I'm so glad that you popped in to check out my new blog. I'm still learning and tweaking and such, but it's a fun ride!

    Ok. Now it's time to back to YOUR blogs and do some more drooling...! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie